In light of the extreme weather forecast for Monday and Tuesday next week, please see the following measures being adopted to keep pupils and staff safe (please note that these plans currently only apply to Monday 18th July and Tuesday 19th July, unless stated otherwise):
- The Year 7 and 8 Sports Days on Monday and Tuesday have been cancelled and pupils will attend normal lessons. With temperatures forecast to be in the mid-30s Celsius at least, physical activity should be kept to a minimum. The Year 7 and 8 Sports Days will be re-arranged for September.
- The Year 9 Sports Day will go ahead as planned on Wednesday 20th July as temperatures are forecast to return to more normal values by then.
- PE lessons will be adapted to avoid the sun and any strenuous physical activity.
- Lessons in heat-prone areas of the school, in particular the English and Languages corridor, will be re-scheduled to cooler areas of the school.
- Please encourage your child to bring plenty of water and to stay hydrated throughout the day. They are also advised to wear sun cream on any exposed areas and hats to shield their heads from the extreme heat.
- Pupils will not need to wear school uniform. They may wear shorts and loose clothing that is appropriate for school (shoulders and midriffs must be covered).
- Pupils will need to remain indoors as much as possible. At break time and lunch time, pupils should remain in Caffi MACS, the Upper Hall or under the external shelters.
- Staff have been told to keep blinds closed and keep windows and doors open, where appropriate, to help keep classrooms cool.
- Pupils may bring hand-held fans, if they wish, to help keep them cool during lessons.
- There will be water points in all teaching areas, supervised by members of staff, so pupils can access water throughout the day.
We will endeavour to keep all pupils and staff as cool and comfortable as possible, given the extreme nature of the weather forecast.
Mrs S Evans