The below information was distributed via Parent Mail prior to the half-term break:
Re: Attendance at School – re-introduction of Fixed Penalty Notices
Good attendance at school is vital in order for children to reach their full potential.
There is a direct link between good attendance and good attainment. At our school, children with high attendance of 95% or above are three times as likely to achieve 5 GCSE’s Grades A* – C than those children with lower attendance (see attached information):
The last two years have impacted the education of our children and it is important that as we return to normal, we re-establish our high expectations of pupil attendance. In line with the FPN Code of Conduct, Fixed Penalty Notices for non-attendance at school will be introduced from Monday 6th June 2022.
There are no restrictions on the number of times a parent may receive a formal warning and it will be at the discretion of the Attendance and Wellbeing Service (in consultation with the school) whether to issue a notice on one or both parent/carer. Fixed Penalty Notices may be issued in the following circumstances:
- Where there is a minimum of 10 unauthorised sessions (5 school days) in the current term (these do not need to be consecutive);
- Pupils are persistently arriving after the close of the registration period i.e. more than 10 sessions in the current term;
- Where parents/carers have failed to engage with the school and/or the AWS in attempts to improve attendance but where court sanctions have not been instigated;
- A period of absence from school due to a holiday that was not authorised by school;
- A pupil has regularly come to the attention of the police during school hours and is absent from school without an acceptable reason.
We wish to work with you to ensure that your child/children learn good habits for life by attending school regularly and being on time.
Please support us by reinforcing the importance of good attendance to your child/children to give them the best possible chances of success at school. If you
are worried or concerned about your child’s attendance or need help to re-engage your child with school, please contact our Attendance Team at school on 01443 479199.
I thank you in anticipation of your support with this matter.
Mrs S J Evans