Following analysis of students’ initial option choices, we have created a new option form with the option subjects distributed across 5 option blocks (see the form that is attached at the bottom of this post – however the choices should be completed electronically at the CVC website link provided). Whilst these option blocks have been carefully put together to try to satisfy the option choices of as many students as possible, there may be some students who will not be able to access all of their original choices and they may need to re-consider.
The options form is now available on the CVC website CVC – Cynon Valley Consortium (please click the link) along with an options booklet which gives details of all the courses on offer across the 3 schools. The deadline for completion of the online options form is Monday 14th March at 9:00am. Please be aware that numbers are restricted for some courses so I would encourage your child to complete the form as soon as possible to guarantee a place on these courses.
Some points to note:
- If a subject does not get enough learners choosing it at this stage, then it will not run next year and the small number of students that selected it will need to make another choice.
- All students will study for the Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate next year and will be allocated to a class depending on the other option subjects they have chosen. For example, if they have not selected a subject from blocks B or E then their Skills Challenge class is likely to be in one of those blocks.
- Students will need to gain 5A*-C grade GCSEs in the summer to return to the Cynon Valley Consortium and study next year.
- The conditions from the initial scan are still in place for certain subjects:
- Biology and Chemistry require a grade B in GCSE Science.
- French and German require students to have studied French and German at GCSE and gained at least a grade C.
- Mathematics requires a grade B at GCSE Mathematics, as does Psychology – students cannot study Psychology unless they secure a ‘B’ grade in Maths at GCSE level.
- Further Mathematics requires students to take Mathematics at AS level.
- Physics requires a grade B in both Mathematics and a Science GCSE.
- BTEC Engineering requires a grade B in Mathematics GCSE.
If you have any further queries regarding your child’s options please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Richards RichardsS253@Hwbcymru.net or myself MeadD4@hwbcymru.net at the school (01443 479199). Many thanks.
Mr D Mead